Sunday, October 28, 2018

The Secret of Being Content

"I can do all this through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

Do you use this verse in Philippians for encouragement? As a Christian, you should. However, the better question is what kind of encouragement are you using it for? In my experience, this verse is used almost like a motivational quote in order to strengthen an individual's drive to overcome the obstacles in life that are in the way of achieving their dreams and aspirations. For example, once upon a time, I was given a message by a popular Christian pastor on this verse. At the time I was trying my hand at being an entrepreneur. Not more than five minutes into the message I stopped listening to it because the pastor was saying that all the dreams for my life would come true if I just claimed the "promise" of this verse. This is a common theme in Christianity; to take verses out of context in order to use them as motivation to achieve worldly success. How often have you heard that "The LORD will make you the head, not the tail (Deuteronomy 28:13)"? Everybody says, "Amen" because we all want to be blessed by God. However, they fail to say or emphasize what else the Lord says; "If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands ... (Deuteronomy 28:1)" You will never be the "head" because you will never "fully obey the Lord" nor will you "follow all his commands." Then there is God's promise in Malachi 3:10 to "throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it" if you stop "robbing" God and bring "the whole tithe into the storehouse..." However, people never seem to realize that God was talking to the "descendants of Jacob (Malachi 3:6)" and not to Christians. Besides, Christians can't truly tithe because the Levitical Priesthood no longer exists and your church is not the "storehouse" being spoken of. Therefore, God will never be obligated to reward you and the floodgates of heaven will remain closed. Then there is Jesus telling the lawyer, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself (Luke 10:27)." Christians just assume they are doing this because Jesus said it. But, are they really? Are people truly loving God with ALL their heart, soul, strength and mind and loving their neighbor as themselves? Again, I ask, how do you measure this? The only way I can think of to measure our efforts is by comparing them to God's standard; the Law. And the only conclusion one can reach is that they are a complete failure; they are not loving God with all of their heart, soul, strength, and mind, much less their neighbor. But, again, what is missed in this passage? What is missed is the question the lawyer asked Jesus. ""Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life (Luke 10:25)?"" This should give us a clue. You don't receive eternal life through obedience to the Law. Jesus said, "You must be born again (John 3:7)" and the Apostle Paul said, "For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law (Galatians 3:21)."

When Paul wrote the letter to the Philippians he was in a Roman prison! If we read the verses just prior to Philippians 4:13 we read, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want (Philippians 4:11-12)." Paul is writing the Philippians to remind them that Christ is strengthening him "whatever the circumstances" of his life. Whether in need or having plenty he is content because He has the Lord. This has nothing to do with Jesus strengthening him to achieve his worldly dreams and aspirations. It has everything to do with him resting in his identity in Christ as a forgiven, holy, blameless, righteous, sanctified and justified, child of the living God through his faith in Jesus Christ. It is not about him keeping the commands of God. It is not about his tithing record. It is not even about him loving God or his neighbor. It is about God meeting the deepest needs of his heart for love, acceptance, meaning, and purpose. That is where his strength from the Lord comes from. In 2 Corinthians 11:23-28, Paul gives a list of all that he had suffered for being a Christian. He writes, "I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.  Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches." This is not the testimony of a man who is claiming that God has given him the strength to indulge his flesh by achieving his dreams and aspirations. No, this is a man who despite having his world turned upside down is still content with the circumstances of his life because of the strength he was receiving from God through his faith in Jesus Christ. As I write this, Christians are the most persecuted people on the planet! Sadly, there are more brothers and sisters in Christ identifying with Paul's suffering then there are achieving their dreams and aspirations to get from the world all it has to offer. My prayer is that they, and all Christians, are learning the secret of being content whatever the circumstances; that their strength comes from Jesus Christ who has given them everything they need for life, godliness and blessed them with every spiritual blessing in Himself. You can't be content when your eyes are off of Jesus and all you have in Him and on yourself and everything you desire Him to give you from the world.

No comments: